Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Welcome to Nanjing

Nanjing has been a great time so far. Lee has treated us very well and has made our stay very comfortable. Yesterday we arrived shortly after 1pm and pissed the afternoon away drinking beer on the steps at 3 RMB ($0.50 CAD) per 568mL bottle. This was followed by peking duck, which I was unfortunately unable to enjoy as I was not feeling well (stomach issues -- not drinking issues!). Today, I feel fine. Oops.

I began the day with a daring adventure: leaving the apartment without Tom. Traveling China without being able to speak Chinese is not at all advisable. I somehow managed to score a sandwich for breakfast at this nearby western-friendly cafe while Tom dozed away happily at home.

Feeling ready for more speechless interaction, I attempted to get my laundry done. Up to this point, my instructions for doing this were, "Take your laundry to the lady at X and say 'wash and dry'." After I found the lady, who works deep beneath a neighbouring building to the apartment we're staying in, I followed the instructions to a tee. They were clearly insufficient as I was soon inundated with incomprehensible syllables and arm gestures that somehow translated to "where is your detergent?"

As it turns out, one needs to bring detergent with them to the laundry lady, who will then tell you how much the washing and drying will cost. Upon finding out this value, you go to the main desk of the apartment and buy the corresponding amount of laundry tickets. These tickets are then given to the laundry lady hours later when going to retrieve your clothing (given she is actually around-- she tends to wander away).


Laundry aside, Tom and I spent the better part of the day wandering the shopping district of Nanjing. There were countless multi-story malls to be explored and seemingly just as many McDonalds and KFCs. We refrained from eating at those places today; instead, we opted for a Chinese restaurant hidden behind some buildings. We would never have even seen it if it wasn't for the lady handing out coupons nearby. It was there that the following video took place.



We eventually found our way back to our landing spot and met up with Lee for dinner, which prompted the question of what to do next. The only obvious answer was to try getting a foot massage. Lee knew a place.

I immediately expressed my dissent as I am a fairly ticklish person and I've never had much success with receiving a massage. Nonsense. This was unlike other massages. We decided to have "the works", which amounted to a full hour of foot massaging and a little bit of back and shoulder work (including a knee to the spine). It was painful at times, and apparently unbearably so for Tom as at one point he screamed "NO!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!". Lee and I laughed. Coincidentally, Tom had nicknamed his masseuse The Punisher before she ever laid a hand on him. Anyway, at the end of the hour, Lee and I felt great (I think Tom was still reeling from the pain). Highly recommended! It cost $10 (60 RMB).

Feeling completely relaxed, we had no desire to do anything more. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment