Saturday, September 4, 2010

An empty backpack

The days are winding down. Only five remain before I depart for China, two of which will be spent attending the final leg of an interview process with Apparent Networks in Vancouver. I figured it was about time I got my act together and packed.

My backpack is essentially empty when all of this has been put inside it, which is great, as I am planning on making plenty of frivolous purchases in China. I do have a concern, however: my backpack has a somewhat rigid frame to it. This means that even though it is empty, it can't be fully collapsed to take up less space. As it stands right now, it seems to be a couple inches larger in one dimension than Delta Airlines' carry-on baggage restrictions. I'd definitely prefer not checking it, so hopefully they let it slide.

7 comments:

  1. I packed a suitcase, and now I feel silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't fret; I believe that is the more typical approach for a month long trip. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you're only bringing 4 sets of clothing. I guess you're planning to buy some clothing in China? Every time I go back my parents end up buying another suitcase (in China) to carry more of our frivolous purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's two more sets of clothing than I brought to India, and I stayed there for 3.5 months :D

    I do intend on buying some clothing there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Packing light is the way to go! I would do two sets, I think. Nice list :)

    In case you're interested in packing even lighter, Tim Ferriss has a good blog post about what he packs on trips, and he's got tons of ultralight clothing (with links).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I packed light.. boy... never can be *that* light. Were you able to take your backpack as carry both way? I assume it must be too fat by end of the trip and it has to be checked in ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha yeah, I had to check it on the way back, but I was able to bring it as carry-on luggage on the way there.

    ReplyDelete