Friday, September 17, 2010

Change of plans: A weekend in Beijing

I've decided that I will spend this weekend in Beijing. Tom won't be able to make it, since he has pre-arranged engagements with friends to attend to, so I will be going alone.

My flight departs from Shanghai, where we've just returned to, on Saturday morning at 10am and I leave Beijing at 4pm on Monday. The hostels I'm currently considering are very close to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, which will be my first targets after arriving.

My current hit-list is:
  • The Great Wall of China
  • The Forbidden City
  • Tiananmen Square
  • The Olympics premises
  • Beijing Opera
  • Martial Arts Show
  • Quanjude Restaurant (Peking duck)

Ooo and maybe I'll go find the CCTV building-- it looks crazy:

Image from e-architect.co.uk.


I'm also considering doing a cycle tour. If you have any suggestions of other restaurants or places I should visit, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Hitting all of those locations in a single weekend is very ambitious, especially since the Great Wall is not actually in Beijing, it'd probably take at least an hour ride to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but it seems common that hostels arrange tours that leave at 7am and return just after noon, allowing around 3 hours on the Wall. Plus, my hostel is right by Tiananmen Square, which is also just south of the Forbidden City, so it really shouldn't be an issue to do those three. The shows would be one on Saturday evening and one on Sunday evening. I think they regularly show at 6:30pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome man! Sounds like a great weekend to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you're interested in contemporary art at all.. i'd check out:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/798_Art_Zone

    "798 Art Zone (Chinese: 798艺术区; pinyin: 798 Yìshùqū), or Dashanzi Art District, is a part of Dashanzi in the Chaoyang District of Beijing that houses a thriving artist community, among 50-year old decommissioned military factory buildings of unique architectural style. It is often compared with New York's Greenwich Village or SoHo."

    super cool place. but i mean, i'd hit up the great wall and stuff before this. =)

    ReplyDelete